Essential Job Functions
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES OF A DEPUTY SHERIFF
WORKS IN A CUSTODY OR COURT SERVICES ENVIRONMENT
- Testify in court
- Make a forcible arrest
- Search for and handle evidence/contraband
- Use a firearm
- Drive a County vehicle
DRIVES A RADIO CAR PATROLLING AREAS TO DETECT CRIMINAL ACTIVITY, PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY, AND PRESERVE THE PEACE
- Enforces/ensures compliance with Federal and State laws, local ordinances, and judicial compliance orders as necessary.
- Guards, transports, and maintains the security and safety of sentenced and pre-sentenced inmates by enforcing detention policies and procedures.
- Oversees the work of and instructs a group of inmates assigned to various operations, maintenance, or other rehabilitative activities.
- Operates a computer terminal to obtain criminal history information including warrants or other holds, and updates classification or housing information as necessary.
- Secures prisoners and their property and monies as necessary in compliance with departmental policy and procedures including juvenile detention policy and regulations.
- Performs various law enforcement duties during a local state of emergency.
INVESTIGATES EMERGENT AND NON-EMERGENT COMPLAINTS OF CRIMES AND CONDUCTS FOLLOW-UP INVESTIGATIONS
- Enforces Federal and State laws and local ordinances.
- Pursues suspects on foot or in a vehicle.
- Subdues resisting suspects utilizing necessary force, including firearms, to maintain law and order and ensure personal and other's safety.
- Detains, arrests, books, and transports suspects.
- Collects, preserves, and records evidence.
- Maintains a log and writes arrest reports.
- Makes traffic stops, issues warnings, and writes traffic citations.
- Responds to emergency scenes and calls for service to provide assistance and maintain law and order.
- Recovers lost or stolen property.
- Investigates victims, witnesses, suspects, and informants.
- Takes notes, and writes complaint and investigative reports.
- Searches for, collects, records, and preserves evidence (including contraband).
- Appears in court to testify in legal proceedings.
- Serves civil and criminal process papers.
END OF PAGE
19½ years of age at the time of filing and at least 20 years of age at the time of hire.
U.S. citizen -OR- permanent resident alien who is eligible for, and has applied for citizenship.
Graduation from a U.S. high school or evidence of equivalent U.S. high school proficiency or higher education. Evidence of equivalent high school proficiency includes having successfully passed the GED, TASC, HiSET, or CHSPE.
A valid San Andreas driver license is required to perform job-related functions. San Andreas candidates must possess a current, non-expired driver license at the time of filing.
A CANDIDATE'S DRIVING RECORD THAT SHOWS THREE OR MORE MOVING VIOLATIONS WITHIN THE LAST YEAR WILL NOT BE APPOINTED.
IV - Arduous
Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.
Candidates must be in good general physical fitness and free from any medical conditions that would interfere with the satisfactory performance of the position of Deputy Sheriff Trainee.
Although there are no minimum or maximum height requirements, the height-weight relationship of each candidate must either (1) fall within the ranges in the following table or (2) if the candidate's height is not included on the table, be found to be acceptable after individual evaluation. Height measurements are conducted without shoes. Weight measurements are conducted without shoes and coat. Candidates whose height falls between any of the measurements shown on the table must meet the requirements of the lower height. Individuals who do not meet the standard shall have their body fat measured. Female candidates whose body fat is 33% or less may be qualified. Male candidates whose body fat is 22% or less may be qualified.
MALE HEIGHT WEIGHT
5ft. 0in. 110 lbs. to 143 lbs. 5ft. 10in. 144 lbs. to 185 lbs.
5ft. 1in. 112 lbs. to 146 lbs. 5ft. 11in. 148 lbs. to 191 lbs.
5ft. 2in. 115 lbs. to 149 lbs. 6ft. 00in. 152 lbs. to 197 lbs.
5ft. 3in. 118 lbs. to 152 lbs. 6ft. 01in. 156 lbs. to 203 lbs.
5ft. 4in. 121 lbs. to 155 lbs. 6ft. 02in. 160 lbs. to 209 lbs.
5ft. 5in. 124 lbs. to 158 lbs. 6ft. 03in. 164 lbs. to 215 lbs.
5ft. 6in. 128 lbs. to 163 lbs. 6ft. 04in. 168 lbs. to 221 lbs.
5ft. 7in. 132 lbs. to 168 lbs. 6ft. 05in. 172 lbs. to 227 lbs.
5ft. 8in. 136 lbs. to 173 lbs. 6ft. 06in. 176 lbs. to 233 lbs.
5ft. 9in. 140 lbs. to 179 lbs. 6ft. 07in. 180 lbs. to 239 lbs.
FEMALE HEIGHT WEIGHT
5ft. 0in. 095 lbs. to 129 lbs. 5ft. 10in. 131 lbs. to 180 lbs.
5ft. 1in. 098 lbs. to 132 lbs. 5ft. 11in. 135 lbs. to 185 lbs.
5ft. 2in. 101 lbs. to 135 lbs. 6ft. 00in. 139 lbs. to 192 lbs.
5ft. 3in. 104 lbs. to 138 lbs. 6ft. 01in. 143 lbs. to 197 lbs.
5ft. 4in. 107 lbs. to 144 lbs. 6ft. 02in. 147 lbs. to 204 lbs.
5ft. 5in. 111 lbs. to 150 lbs. 6ft. 03in. 151 lbs. to 210 lbs.
5ft. 6in. 115 lbs. to 156 lbs. 6ft. 04in. 155 lbs. to 216 lbs.
5ft. 7in. 119 lbs. to 162 lbs. 6ft. 05in. 159 lbs. to 222 lbs.
5ft. 8in. 123 lbs. to 168 lbs. 6ft. 06in. 163 lbs. to 228 lbs.
5ft. 9in. 127 lbs. to 174 lbs. 6ft. 07in. 167 lbs. to 234 lbs.
(1) Acuity - At least 20/70 in each eye without correction, correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
Successful soft contact lens wearers are not required to meet the uncorrected standard as long as their corrected vision is 20/30 in each eye.
(2) Color perception - Anything other than minor hue impairment is disqualifying.
There may be no greater than a 25 dB loss in the better ear as averaged over the test frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hz. There may not be a peak loss at any of the test frequencies greater than:
30 dB at 500 Hz.
30 dB at 1000 Hz.
40 dB at 2000 Hz.
40 dB at 3000 Hz.
There may be no greater than a 35 dB loss in the worst ear as averaged over the test frequencies, and no peak loss greater than 45 dB at any of the test frequencies.
END OF PAGE
Applications will be processed on an as received basis and candidates will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. All names on the register are eligible for appointment. No person on the eligible register may compete for this examination more than once every one (1) month. Successful candidates will remain on the register, unless they:
ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY IF HIRED
- do not appear (DNA) to a Structured Interview appointment.
- withdraw or refuse the position at any time after the written test.
- do not pass the Structured Interview.
- do not pass the background questions in the supplemental questionnaire (SQ).
- do not pass the Academy Training.
- do not pass the Final Examination.
The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department (Department) has a "zero tolerance"
policy for its employees for the following:
- use of narcotics, controlled substances, and/or prescription drugs without a prescription.
- use of marijuana with or without a prescription.
Any employee found in violation of this policy will be subject to discharge.
The background questions in the SQ are utilized to ensure candidates meet the standards of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department. Candidates who fail any background question(s) will be disqualified from all Los Santos County Sheriff's Department examinations for which they applied, and will have to wait a minimum of one (1) month after the date of the disqualification to reapply.
LSSD HIRING PROCESS
1. Application (including SQ)
2. Written Test
3. Structured Interview
4. Academy Training
5. Final Examination
STRUCTURED INTERVIEW (SI)
Candidates who pass the Application, will participate in a Structured Interview (SI). The SI evaluates the candidates' experience, problem solving ability, Department knowledge/interest, interpersonal skills, community involvement & awareness, and communication skills.
Candidates will be allowed one (1) opportunity to pass the SI. If a candidate does not pass the SI, the candidate must wait one (1) month before he/she can reapply.
The Sheriff's Academy is a twenty-two (22) week training program. Classes are conducted Monday through Friday and some weekends and holidays. The Academy days are generally two and one-half hours long and may be conducted in shifts
Throughout the academy program, recruits will also participate in regular physical training. Knowledge, skill and task competence will be assessed.
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies in the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department.
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
All candidates are required to submit an online County of Los Santos Sheriff's Department employment application. All information, including the selection requirements (i.e., age, citizenship, education, and driver license) is subject to verification and your application may be rejected at any time during the selection process. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the selection requirements.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING ONLINE
To apply for this examination, fill and submit the form found in this section. Your application must be submitted electronically by 12:00 am, on the last day of filing. Candidates will be asked to provide required documents during the background process.
END OF PAGE
(( OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION ))
By submitting an application, you agree to the following conditions and statements:
You may be removed from the hiring process at any time and for any valid motive.
You may be subject to waiting periods in character and they may apply out of character as well.
You affirm that you have at least one character which is level four (4) or above.
You affirm that you have no recent (2 months) administrative punishments (excluding AFK kicks) taken against you.
→ Note that in the cases of server bans, you are required to wait at least 2 months after the date of unbanning in order to be eligible to apply.
You affirm that you have your forum name changed to a Firstname_Lastname format.
You affirm that you have a fluent grasp of the English language, in text and voice.
You affirm that you understand that the faction portrays the real life Los Angeles Sheriff's Department.
You affirm that you are able to portray a develop and realistic character.
You affirm that you have not or will not do any of the following:
- Hiding characters or UCP names,
- Hiding past or current characters, or forum profiles,
- Hiding administrative records, or providing outdated ones,
- Hiding past history or denials with the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department, or
- Hiding double faction rule violations.